If you think you or someone in your community is being abused or neglected, you can tell us. We can help you get the right support.

What is safeguarding?

Safeguarding means protecting children, young people and vulnerable adults from abuse and neglect. This includes physical, sexual, emotional and financial abuse, as well as discrimination, modern slavery and self-neglect.

We work alongside our partners in social care, healthcare and the police to keep customers who live in our homes or use our services safe and support them to make their own choices.

When should I raise safeguarding concerns?

Abuse and neglect can be difficult to detect, but here are some possible warning signs.

  • Badly-maintained property
  • Poor living conditions
  • Hoarding
  • No gas or electricity
  • Unauthorised persons staying in the property
  • Cuts and bruising
  • Change in the level of support needed
  • Unexplained expenditure
  • Health and safety risks
  • Being harassed

Report a safeguarding concern

Log into MyOneHousing to report a safeguarding concern

Other ways to report a concern

If it’s not a One Housing property, contact your local council.

Call 999 if you or the person is at immediate risk, or call the police on 101 if you think a crime has been committed.

What will we do if you raise safeguarding concerns about others?

  • We'll help you report your concerns to the right agency, such as the local council, NHS or the police.
  • We may need to share details of your concerns with other agencies to enable them to investigate further.
  • Where appropriate, we'll carry out our own investigations.
  • Where possible, we'll let you know the outcome.

What will we do if you raise safeguarding concerns about yourself?

  • We'll support you to safeguard yourself and discuss with you whether you want us to raise a safeguarding concern.
  • We may raise a safeguarding concern with your local council if we think it is necessary to keep you and others safe and free from harm.
  • We'll help you cope with the effects of any abuse or neglect you have experienced or witnessed and put you in touch with specialist support organisations.