Noise nuisance

Noise nuisance is generally only considered anti-social behaviour if the noise is persistent.

We wouldn’t usually consider these noises to be anti-social behaviour:

  • babies crying
  • children playing
  • DIY
  • dogs barking
  • footsteps
  • general living sounds
  • groups in communal areas
  • loud music
  • neighbours talking
  • one-off parties

However, if the noise is persistent (lasting longer than thirty minutes a day, more than five days a week), or at night time (after 11pm and before 7am), it could be considered as anti-social behaviour.

If your neighbours are noisy we advise you first try speaking to them if you feel able to. We realise of course that some people may feel uncomfortable or perhaps slightly anxious about doing that. If that's the case, why not try writing to them? You can use this 'Dear Neighbour' letter or write your own version if the wording here doesn't quite fit. The important thing to remember is that your neighbour might not even realise they've caused a disturbance so we advise you approach things initially in as calm and non-judgemental a way as you can.

If neighbouring households are regularly making unreasonable noise, whether that’s loud music, parties, shouting or banging, contact your local council’s environmental health department. Your council's environmental health team has designated powers to deal with noise nuisance such as serving noise abatement notices. We can then act upon their reports and enforce tenancy action.

It’s important that you feel safe in your home. After you've reported what has happened to your local council, please also let us know so we can do whatever we can to help, by completing our online form. Be sure to include as much information as possible to help us find a solution for you.

Other ways to contact us:

Call 0300 123 9966 (Monday-Friday 8am-6pm)

Email us