Making a change to your tenancy

We will only consider adding someone to a tenancy if they are living together as a couple with the existing tenant.  Note you must be married or in a civil relationship, or have been living together for over a year.

Joint tenancy

When applying to add someone to a sole tenancy you should be aware of the following changes that will occur:

  • Joint tenants have equal rights and responsibilities with the other joint tenant. This means you are both responsible for any arrears though either of you can be pursued for payment even if you no longer live there.
  • Either joint tenant can end the tenancy.
  • If a joint tenant dies the surviving tenant will succeed to the tenancy.

One Housing is under no legal obligation to grant a joint tenancy and will refuse if any of the following apply:

  • There are rent arrears or debts on the account
  • We have started legal proceeding
  • There are ongoing breaches of tenancy, such as anti-social behaviour that are being investigated
  • The person applying to be a joint tenant would not be entitled to social housing in their own right (i.e., do not have the right or rent, have been previously evicted or own a property)
  • Supporting documents have not been provided as requested.

Sole to joint application form

Joint to sole tenancy

If you want to remove someone from your tenancy you will both need to sign the application form. If they have already left and cannot be traced you will need to contact us to discuss what steps you can take.

Joint to sole application form

Name change

If you have changed your name you will need to send us a copy of the legal document so we can make the changes on your account. This could be:

  • Marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • Copy of your Deed Poll

Change in household members

If you want to tell us that you add someone to your household, you will need to send us:

  • Copy of a birth or adoption certificate
  • An official document with their and your address, such as a copy of their driving licence, bank or mobile phone statement or a letter from the DWP

Household change of circumstances form

If you have any questions about making any changes to your tenancy or household members you can email us at