Reducing energy usage and costs
Here are some great energy and money-saving tips.
- Turn off lights (that have energy saving light bulbs!) when you leave the room.
- If you turn the heating on, make sure you close the windows so heat doesn’t escape.
- Turning your thermostat down by 1 degree can save up to £75 per year.
- Stand-by buttons use electricity so make sure you turn electrical appliances completely off.
- Unless you really need to wash clothes in hot water, use your washing machine’s coolest temperature cycle – and always put in a full load.
- Rather than automatically filling the kettle each time you make a cup of tea, only boil as much water as you need.
- Rather than tumble dry clothes, hang things on a clothes horse instead.
- Water-efficient shower heads reduce the amount of hot water but can still feel strong.
- Spending one minute less in the shower can save you up to £90 per year.
- When you’re brushing your teeth or shaving, only turn the tap on when you need water – you can waste up to six litres a minute if you leave it running!
- Don’t charge phones, etc overnight – make sure you unplug when devices are charged up.