Changes to your rent and service charges for 2022/23

Every April we review our social housing rents in line with the rules set by the government. Here’s what’s happening from April 2022.

This year rents will be increasing in line with inflation. As a not-for profit organisation, we’ll use the money to improve our homes, support our planned investment in critical fire safety works and invest in local communities. Our costs are also increasing due to the current level of inflation.

If you are a tenant, rents will increase by last September’s Consumer Price Index – CPI – 3.1% plus 1%.  This means that from April 2022 your rent will be increasing by a maximum of 4.1%.

If you are a shared owner, rents will increase in line with the inflation measure as shown in your individual lease.

Booklets detailing your individual charges will be sent out to you at the end of February 2022.

Changes to service charges

We have reviewed service charges for the coming year and have worked hard to ensure value for money for all the services that we offer. Unfortunately, inflation is higher than it has been in previous years and our costs have therefore increased. In addition, we have seen higher than usual utility costs, in line with the position nationally, with fuel costs increasing by higher than the rate of inflation.

I’m finding it difficult to pay my rent. What should I do?

We know that many of our residents are facing a range of financial pressures at the moment, including an increase in energy and food costs, other household bills and the removal of the £20 Universal Credit uplift.

We know the rent increase will present another financial challenge for many of you.

We have a friendly and dedicated team of Welfare Benefits Advisors who can provide support and advise whether you might be eligible for various benefits. We have also put together tips and resources to help you if you’re struggling to meet the rising costs of running your home.

If you have difficulties paying your rent or service charge, please call us on 0300 123 9966 or email us as soon as you can so we can work with you to find a solution. We can also signpost you to other experts and sources of advice.

We’re also making an additional fund available from April to residents facing immediate hardship by way of small grants. These are designed to help meet one-off essential costs that you would otherwise struggle to afford.  If you think you need help in this way, please speak to your Income Officer or Support Worker.

In addition, our Employment and Training Advisors are on hand to help you get into employment or gain new skills to land a better job.

Do I need to do anything?

If your Housing Benefit is paid direct to us, we’ll confirm your new charges with Housing Benefit Office.

If your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit is paid direct to you, it’s your responsibility to make sure Housing Benefit, or for Universal Credit, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), know your new charges and make any relevant changes.

Please remember, if you’re on Universal Credit do not update your claim until April – it could cause issues with your claim.

More information

If you wish to learn more about service charges, please see our leaflets below.

Service Charge - The basics (PDF document)

Service Charge - How you are charged (PDF document)

Service Charge - Dispute resolution (PDF document)