For you

    Managing your money
    If you're struggling to pay your rent or fall behind with payments, you should contact us as soon as possible so we can advise and support you.

    What to do if you can't pay your rent

    Call us on 0300 123 9966 or email so your customer accounts advisor can:  


    - Talk to you in confidence and give advice,

    - Help you claim any benefits you're entitled to,

    - Make an arrangement to pay off your arrears,

    - Refer you to our welfare reform advisor, who can assess your housing and debt problems, help with housing benefit queries, identify priority and secondary debt and agree on how to deal with them. This service is free to all One Housing tenants.

    We also have a welfare benefits advisor who can provide help on benefits and money issues, as well as advice on budgeting and how to make the most of your income. 

    You can also get in touch with the National Debt Helpline ( for free, confidential and independent advice on how to deal with your debt. Age UK also provide information debt and savings information for older people on their website.  

    We’ll do everything we can to help you keep your home so please don't ignore things if you're struggling, as you could be putting your tenancy at serious risk.

    → Find out how we've helped residents who were struggling to pay their rent here.

    What will happen if my arrears continue to increase?

    We want to work with you to offer as much support and assistance as possible to ensure that you pay your rent and clear any arrears.

    If you choose to ignore your rent arrears, fail to discuss the matter with us, or continue to allow arrears to mount up, we will begin proceedings to evict you from your home. We will serve a notice which is the first stage of taking action in the county court to evict you. We will always try to contact you to assist you before taking any legal action.

    If you find yourself struggling to pay your rent and owe money to others, it’s not a good idea to borrow from money lenders such as loan companies to pay off these debts. They usually charge higher interest charges than the high street lenders such as banks, credit unions or building societies. You could end up owing a lot more money than what you borrowed.  

    Welfare reform

    If you are claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance, Housing Benefit, Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit, please click here to find out how you will be affected as Universal Credit is introduced.

    Click here on advice on how to reduce the impact of welfare reform. 

    Energy saving tips

    The Energy Saving Trust is a great online resource where you can find lots of ideas for saving money on your bills. The savings you can make in each area all add up so why not check it out and see how you can cut costs. 

    Advice for older residents

    If you would like to discuss making a benefit claim, need help or financial support please call us on 0300 123 9966 and ask to speak with one of our welfare benefit advisors. 

    We want to hear from you! Share your feedback online