For you

    Welfare reform advice
    There is a range of things you can do to avoid the sanctions of welfare reform.

    They include:

    Benefit cap

    • Find a full-time job and come off benefits completely.
    • Work 16 hours a week if you are a single person or 24 hours a week between couples to avoid the benefit cap.

    Bedroom tax (spare room subsidy) 

    • Move to a smaller property through transfer or mutual exchange.
    • Take in a lodger or paying guest.

    Other options

    • Cover the shortfall in your Housing Benefit entitlement.
    • Think about how you can make your money last a month (budgeting).
    • Apply for Discretionary Housing Payment if you are in ‘financial hardship’.

    If you are unemployed, seeking work or need training, you can register with our employment and training service on 020 7428 4327 or 020 428 4275 or email or

    Our team can help you get the most out of your income by taking you through a financial health check as well as signpost you to other services as required.

    The government has launched an interactive tool that offers personalised advice, on making the most of your money while you’re on Universal Credit. It offers help and advice on a range of money topics, including opening a bank account, keeping on top of bills and dealing with debt. Click here to visit the new Money Advice Service website.

    To find out more, please contact: 
    Customer Accounts team - 020 8821 5184 
    Customer Contact Centre - 0300 123 9966 or 020 8821 5300

    We want to hear from you! Share your feedback online