For you

    Safeguarding adults is defined in the Care Act 2014, Care and Support Statutory Guidance as "protecting a person’s right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect.”

    The Care Act refers to 'people with care and support needs' in relation to safeguarding. We work with customers who have a range of needs, including complex mental health needs, senior living, young people, homelessness, drug and alcohol use. As a landlord to thousands of people, we have a key safeguarding role to play, alongside our partners in social care, healthcare and the police, in keeping people safe. We are well placed to identify people with care and support needs, share information and work in partnership to coordinate responses and assist with tenancy sustainment.

    What is a safeguarding concern?

    Signs of abuse can sometimes be difficult to detect. The Care Act 2014 outlines the types of abuse as:

    • Physical abuse
    • Domestic violence or abuse
    • Sexual abuse
    • Psychological or emotional abuse
    • Financial or material abuse
    • Modern slavery
    • Discriminatory abuse
    • Organisational or institutional abuse
    • Neglect or acts of omission
    • Self-neglect

    Some examples of a safeguarding concern can be:

    • Condition of the property
    • Poor living conditions
    • Hoarding
    • Anti-social behaviour
    • Harassment
    • Support needs
    • No gas and/or electricity
    • Being taken advantage of financially
    • Unauthorised persons staying in the property
    • Health and safety
    • Signs of abuse

    What will One Housing do if I have a safeguarding concern?

    We will work with our partner agencies, including the local authority, NHS and police, to safeguard the well-being of children, young people and adults who live in our properties, work with our staff, benefit from our services and receive care from us.

    If you raise a concern with us, we will help you to report it to the right agency and we will also investigate the issue ourselves where appropriate. Where possible, we will treat your concerns with confidence, but we cannot guarantee confidentiality. If you raise concerns with us regarding an individual, we may need to share the details with other agencies in order for them to investigate further and ensure they stay safe and free from harm or abuse.

    If you raise concerns regarding your own well-being, we will support you to safeguard yourself. We will also discuss with you whether you would like a safeguarding concern to be raised. There may be occasions where we need to raise a safeguarding concern with the local authority to ensure that you and others remain free and safe from harm. 

    We will offer help to support you to cope with the effects of the abuse or neglect you have experienced or witnessed, as well as signpost you to specialist organisations.

    Where we can, we will feedback to you on the outcome of the case you reported. In some circumstances, the information we can give you will be limited due to confidentiality issues.


    If you have concerns about the safety and well-being of a child, young person or adult, or would like to speak to our Safeguarding Coordinator about your situation, you can report your concerns to us using our online form or by emailing

    We want to hear from you! Share your feedback online