One Housing

Frequently asked questions


    How can I buy my One Housing property?

    If you’re a social housing resident, you may be eligible to buy your property. A number of factors will determine which scheme you may be eligible for, and each scheme is a little different.

    Right to Acquire

    Right to Acquire is a statutory scheme which offers residents the opportunity to buy their home at a discount, the maximum discount is £16,000 – but this will vary depending on the borough that you live in. You must have been a tenant of a registered social landlord for a minimum of three years before you can apply. For more information please contact the Home Purchase team on 0300 123 2034 (option 5).

    Social HomeBuy

    Social HomeBuy is a very similar scheme to the Right to Acquire scheme. It offers One Housing residents the opportunity to buy their home at a discount, the maximum discount is £16,000, but this will vary depending on the borough that you live in. In comparison to Right to Acquire, Social HomeBuy offers the opportunity to buy the property on shared ownership terms (part buy or part rent), the discount will be apportioned depending on the share that you purchase.

    For more information, please contact the Home Purchase team on 0300 123 2034 (option 5).

    Preserved Right to Buy

    The Preserved Right to Buy scheme is exclusively designed for residents who were secure council residents and living in their home when it was transferred to One Housing. This scheme offers residents of eligible properties the opportunity to buy their home with a maximum discount which increases every year in line with inflation. The Preserved Right to Buy scheme only applies to our residents on the Isle of Dogs who lived in their property whien it was owned by Tower Hamlets Council. For more information please contact the Home Purchase team on 0300 123 2034 (option 5).

    For more information, visit our Ways to Buy section.

    How can I report ASB?

    You can report ASB:

    • to our Customer Information Hub on 0300 123 9966
    • by writing to us at One Housing, 44 Palmers Road, London E2 0TA
    • by using our online reporting form 
    • by tweeting us @Official_OHGASB and emailing us.

    You can also report ASB to your local safer neighbourhood team. You can find details of your local team on - if you live in Berkshire please use

    If your ASB is also a criminal offence, we will encourage you to contact the police. This is because the police are better trained and more able to deal with serious ASB and crimes and can take more immediate action to stop the crime taking place.

    If you’re suffering from noise nuisance please contact your local council’s environmental health department.

    Visit our ASB section for more information. 

    Can you collect my bulk items?

    We have a limited number of bulk rubbish collection sites on our schemes. If there is a service at your scheme, this should be visible or there should be a notice on the estate notice board. If you have a local concierge or caretaker, please ask them if there is a collection site. 

    Please don't dump bulk rubbish. Your local authority will have a scheme that is either free or will charge a reasonable cost. If we have to remove bulk rubbish from your property, the cost is likely to be much higher and, if you leave bulk rubbish outside, it could encourage other people to do the same. If this happens the cost of removing items will be passed onto you and your neighbours through your service charges. 

    How can I make changes to my tenancy agreement?

    We have to be certain that any changes to your tenancy agreement are accurate, so you will need to provide evidence of any changes to your household. For example, you can provide a birth or marriage certificate, or proof that someone (particularly an adult) is living in your home permanently. Your housing officer may want to visit you before we agree to make changes to your tenancy agreement.

    Once we’re satisfied that the change is appropriate, we will let you know and your tenancy details will be amended. If you would like to amend your tenancy, please contact our Customer Information Hub on 0300 123 9966 so we can start this process. 

    Can I swap my home with someone in another borough?

    If you’re an assured or secure tenant, you can swap your home with another assured or secure tenant under the mutual exchange scheme. This is one of your tenancy rights. You can also swap your home if you have a fixed term tenancy, but the incoming tenant will only receive a tenancy for the remainder of your fixed term tenancy. If you hold a starter tenancy, you may not be able to exchange your home with someone else.

    You can apply for a mutual exchange via the Home Swapper website. The website is free for all One Housing residents. 

    How can I surrender my tenancy?

    If you are leaving your property, you will be expected to give us four weeks’ notice in line with the terms of your tenancy agreement. You can surrender your tenancy via email or by sending a letter to your nearest office. We also have a tenancy termination form that you can download here, please complete it and send it back to us.

    Please leave your home in a clean condition and return your keys to us by 12 noon on the Monday following the end of your four weeks’ notice. If you don’t do this, we may have to charge you a further week’s rent until we are able to get possession of your home.

    If you have any rent arrears, you will be asked to make arrangements to clear them before you leave. If this is not possible, we will ask you for a forwarding address and will put an agreement in writing.

    When you return your keys, we will inspect your home. If there are belongings left, we will remove them and, where appropriate, charge you for the costs of removing them.

    If you have carried out any approved improvements to your home, we may be able to compensate you for this. Please let us know if you want to claim compensation for improvements. 

    Visit our Moving home section for more info. 

    I'm going to be made homeless. What are my options?

    We work closely with local authorities across London and the South East to assist people in need of housing or threatened with homelessness. However all our social housing properties for rent are offered either to our own residents or through local authorities' housing waiting list. Your local authority will have details about how they help residents at risk of homelessness so please visit their website or main office to get advice.

    If you’re a One Housing resident, you should let us know why you’re no longer able to live in your home. Call our CIHub who will speak to you about your tenancy and what to do or put you in touch with your housing officer or one of our allocations officers.

    If you can’t live in your property because of a serious repair issue, we will try to offer you and your family temporary accommodation. This could be in a nearby hotel or with a private estate agent. We will discuss these options with you as part of any works needed to make your home liveable. If we think you’re able to live in your home whilst we carry out any works, we will let you know and try to help with eg temporary heating or cooking facilities. If you think you’re homeless because of works needed to your home, the officer managing your case should be in regular contact with you about your needs.

    We want to ensure you and your family are safe in your home. If you’re not able to live in your home because you are concerned for your safety, please let us know. If we are involved in your case, we will discuss the options available to you such as temporary housing if you are considered at risk. We can only help if you tell us - if we’re not aware of your circumstances, please let us know immediately so we can advise.. Call our CIHub (0300 1239966) or email our ASB safeguarding team:

    How can I speak to my housing officer?

    Our housing officers are very often away from their desks and out on their estates so are not always available to respond to calls.

    To ensure we can assist with your enquiry, we have a Customer Information Hub with trained advisors who are able to answer more than 80% of queries. You can call our team on 0300 123 9966.

    If your call is about a repair (including a communal repair), our repairs helpdesk can advise you. If you're enquiring about your tenancy, housing or anything else, our customer advisors will aim to resolve any concerns you may have or provide you with the appropriate advice.

    If your query is more specific or you would still like to speak directly to your housing officer, we will transfer your call to your housing officer (if they are available) or to a duty housing officer.

    Stock condition survey exhibition and technical questions

    What is shared ownership?

    Shared ownership is an affordable homeownership scheme designed for people who can’t afford to buy a home outright on the open market. It works on a ‘part-buy' or 'part-rent’ basis. New build and existing shared ownership properties, known as ‘resales’, are available through the scheme.

    In order to be eligible for shared ownership you must meet the following criteria:

    • the total household income must not exceed £90,000 per year
    • you must be in permanent employment
    • you will not already own a home or you will have sold your current home
    • you will need to pass our financial assessment
    • you must be purchasing via a mortgage – cash buyers will not be eligible for this scheme.

    Many of our shared ownership schemes do not allow pets so you may find that this applies to a scheme you’re interested in. Please contact us directly if you’re interested in a particular scheme and we will be able to check for you.

    If you’re interested in a purchasing a One Housing shared ownership property, visit our Citystyle website.


    How can I report a repair?

    You can report a repair by contacting our repairs helpdesk on 0300 123 9966 (option 2). You can let us know about non ermegency repairs by emailing  

    Our repairs helpdesk is open from 8.00am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday.

    If you have an emergency repair outside that time, your call will be re-directed to our out-of-hours emergency service. One of the advisors will take your details and assess whether the repair is an emergency.

    I need special aids and adaptations in my home. Can you help?

    Adaptations to your home are currently funded by the local authority and we will work alongside the appropriate team to organise any adaptations. To do this, an occupational therapist will need to carry out an assessment of your home and your needs. These assessments will be arranged through your local social services office. If you have a social worker, or receive support from social services, please contact them first to start this process.

    Your GP can make a referral to social services for you, but their recommendation directly to us will not be sufficient. We need to receive technical advice about the type of adaptation that is suitable for the home you live in.

    There are also some minor adaptations that we can help with. These are improvements such as hand rails, grab rails in your bathroom, door access ramps and lever taps. If you need one of these minor adaptations, we should be able to consider your needs without an occupational therapist referral and will try to install these types of adaptations within 20 working days. 

    To find out more or request a visit for a minor adaptation, call 020 7428 5571, email aids& or visit our Aids and adaptation section.

    Am I due to have my kitchen and bathroom upgraded?

    Our planned maintenance team will contact you if your kitchen and/or bathroom is due to be considered for our annual programme. The list of properties due for consideration is based on information we have about the age and condition of the facilities in each of our properties. A survey will be undertaken by a surveyor confirming if works are required and you will informed of the outcome of this, normally on the same day.  


    How can I apply for a One Housing property?

    Our social housing properties are allocated to existing tenants on our transfer list or through local authorities. If you are on a local authority waiting or transfer list, you should have access to a choice based lettings (CBL) scheme. The CBL scheme in your area will routinely advertise all the available social housing properties in your area. This will include any One Housing properties that are available.

    If you specifically want to be a One Housing resident, then please check the CBL scheme on your local authority’s website. Some local authorities allocate properties directly and don’t operate a choice based lettings scheme so it may be more difficult to choose us as your landlord. If your local authority does not operate a CBL scheme, please speak to the lettings or allocations team in your council for specific advice. 

    Visit our Homes to rent section for more information.

    Can I book an appointment with my housing officer?

    Yes, a housing officer can visit you in your home or make an appointment to see you at your local One Housing office. Please call our Customer Information Hub on 0300 123 9966 or email us and we will arrange an appointment for you. Please give us as much detail as possible so that your housing officer can respond to your request as quickly as they can. If your enquiry is dealt with by someone else than your housing officer, we may arrange the appointment with that staff member.  

    Rent and finances

    Why has my rent increased?

    We review rent and service charges for most of our residents every year, usually in April. For social housing residents, there is currently a 1% rent reduction, but you may find that your service charges have increased. So overall, your rent and service charges combined may have increased.

    You should have received an explanatory booklet setting out any increases. If you haven’t received a booklet, you can contact the Customer Information Hub (CIHub) on 0300 123 9966 and they'll pop one in the post to you. The CIHub will also be able to help you with any general enquiries you may have. If your enquiry is more specific, we may have to transfer your call to our rents team or a duty officer.  

    Click here for more information.

    Can I make an online rent payment?

    Yes you can! Here's how:

    • go to
    • enter your payment reference number to log in (this is the long number on your rent card)
    • follow the online steps.  
    How can I pay my rent?

    There are many ways you can do this. If you want to make a one-off payment now, you can pay over the phone by calling 0300 123 9966. Our Customer Information Hub will be able to tell you what your balance is and to take your payment.

    Visit our 'Rent and finances' section to find out about other ways to pay your rent. 

    Can I get help with paying my rent?

    If you're struggling to pay your rent, you can call your customer accounts advisor or neighbourhood officer to let them know. 

    You can also talk to our welfare benefit team on 020 8821 4272. They can provide help on benefits and money issues, as well as advice on budgeting and how to maximise your income. 

    For more information, visit our Payment problems page. 

    Can I view my rent statement online?

    You can view your rent statement online by visiting our my Account portal. Make sure you have you tenancy agreement reference ready as you'll need it to create an account if you don't already have one.

    We want to hear from you! Share your feedback online