For you

    Here is everything you need to know before you make alterations to your property or if you'd like to sublet your property.

    Alterations to your flat 

    You are required to seek permission before making any alterations to your home. You may also need other permission, such as planning permission or building regulations permission.

    To apply for permission to make alterations, you must email us copies of any plans, drawings or diagrams that help to explain what you want to do. We will not refuse permission to carry out reasonable alterations unless we have a good reason.


    Leaseholders must notify us of any subletting of their property. With shared ownership properties there are restrictions on subletting and this should only be done in certain circumstances. Please email us before you consider subletting your home.

    If you are able to sublet, you should consider if you need legal advice and the following things:

    • Only give your tenants an assured shorthold tenancy.
    • Use a reputable letting agency to manage your property. Different agencies have different terms, so 'shop around' before you decide. We can also provide you with a cope for subletting your property. One Housing already operates a long standing and successful private rented business. This has the advantage of only needing to deal with one party to let your property.
    • Give us a correspondence address and an emergency contact number.
    • Get your tenants to pay a deposit. You can keep this money to cover any damage they cause. You are however legally required to protect this deposit.
    • Consider your tax position. The Inland Revenue will be able to give you advice.

    We want to hear from you! Share your feedback online